Friday, August 19, 2011

SHOW ME YOUR YUMMIES: Gluten Free Spring Rolls

So, for those of you who don't know, I am Gluten Free. If you don't know what that means just click HERE and it will give you a description of what being Gluten Free means.  I don't have Celiac but my mom does have a form of it. It is genetic so I said to myself... "Self, you should go GFREE with your mom... #1 for support and #2 for prevention!"  So a few months ago I went GFREE completely and haven't looked back. I can say that I feel so much better than I thought I could feel and I can tell a huge difference in my mood, my body and just being comfortable.

So, at the request of one my the beauty bloggers/youtube gurus I follow 9click on her name for her blog)... Jenn Staz... Here's her awesome YT Channel...I'm going to post one GFREE recipe every week and call the segment: SHOW ME YOUR YUMMIES... Cute right?! I encourage you to try them and let me know what you think. I also encourage you to talk to your doctor about it and get tested for it. Most people don't know they have it until they have a serious medical issue (that's what happened with my mom) so I think it's better to be safe than sorry!

Here's my first recipe.... SPRING ROLLS

Here are the items you will need. Keep in mind, what you put in your roll is entirely up to you... This is just what I put in MINE =)

-Rice Paper Spring Roll Wrappers (I got mine at Giant Eagle, I know Meijer them too)
-Shrimp or chicken or just leave the meat out for Veggie!
-Cabbage
-Matchstick Carrots
-Green Onions
-Cilantro
-Sesame Seed Oil (2 tsp.)
-Chili Sauce (1 tbsp.)
-Soy Sauce (eyeball it..don't go overboard... salty)
-Wide bowl with water
-Small bowl with water & cornstarch mixture (Just add water to a 1/4 cup of cornstarch) *this will be your seal for your rolls.

Let's make our mixture! Oh and preheat your oven to 425 for baking!

-Chop/shred your cabbage how you like. Also cut your matchstick carrots a little unless you like big pieces. Chop your green onions using both green and white parts and chop your cilantro.
-Now, I eyeballed the amounts of the veggies so I can't tell you exactly how much I used. I filled up a medium sized mixing bowl with the veggies if that tells you anything!
-Once everything was cut I added in the sesame oil, chili sauce and little bit of soy sauce.
-I then added in the chopped grilled chicken I had cooked previously that was seasoned with salt and pepper.
-I mixed it up until everything was incorporated.

-Rice Paper Wrappers are very sensitive... Once you open the package make sure you cover them with a damp towel to keep them from cracking.
-Set up a wide bowl of room temp water, gently coat your wrapper with water starting with the edges and working your way inward.
-Here is a youtube video that really helped me alot with this process... HERE. The guy will also show you how to wrap them if you don't know how... just like a burrito!
-After you wrap you roll, dip your fingers into your water+cornstarch mixture and seal your roll.

-After the rolls are wrapped I placed them on a cookie sheet that was sprayed with Pam cooking spray. -I then brushed them with a little bit of veggie oil.. a little goes a long way... mine came out a little to greasy for me so I wiped alot of it off.
-Pop these babies in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes... flip... then bake for another 10.



-EAT!

You can also just eat them without baking them... some people also fry them but I feel like that defeats the purpose of eating a healthy spring roll...LOL.

PLEASE, let me know if you have any questions about these!

Make them yourself and #SHOW ME YOUR YUMMIES on my TWITTER PAGE !!

hb
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment